Aircraft Accident Detail | N560RP Cessna 560

Accident on 4/25/2002 12:00:00 AM in Lake In The Hil, IL

Tail Number: N560RP
Damage: Substantial
Aircraft Type: Cessna 560
Serial Number: 560-0158
Airport: K3CK
Visibility: 10 statute miles
Wind Velocity: 26 knots
Wind Gusts: 34 knots
Sky Condition: NONE at feet
Total Injuries: 0
Total Fatal Injuries: 0
NTSB No.: CHI02LA119

NTSB Summary

On April 25, 2002, at 1536 central daylight time, a Cessna 560, N560RP, operated by Executive Jet Management, was substantially damaged during a bounced landing on runway 26 (3,058 feet by 50 feet, asphalt) at Lake In The Hills Airport (3CK), Lake In The Hills, Illinois. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The 14 CFR Part 91 positioning flight was operating on an instrument flight plan. The captain and first officer were uninjured. The flight originated from 3CK, at 0954, and made two stops prior to returning to 3CK. The airplane, registered to RDD Leasing, was operated as a contract charter flight under Executive Jet Management's air taxi certificate. According to the first officer, he and the captain changed seat positions after dropping off their remaining passengers prior to departing for 3CK. The first officer changed seat positions so as to meet pilot-in-command flight time requirements set forth by Executive Jet Management for pilots to act as pilot-in-command on contracted flights. The captain stated, "[The first officer] had about 22 hrs in the aircraft and had landed it several times. He had seen several landings at 3CK, but this was his first attempt at landing there. We had discussed this approach and landing at 3CK and I told him my hands would be very close to the controls as a back up. The approach was normal and on-speed and the flare was at the normal height. [the co-pilot] pushed forward to make the landing, which resulted in a firm three-point landing. As soon as the airplane touched down, [the first officer] extended the Thrust Reversers. Due to the firm landing, the aircraft bounced slightly off the ground, came down and bounced again. At this point, the bounce was not severe enough to warrant a go-around, however, each bounce got progressively worse. My guess is that we bounced 3-4 times. After the second or third bounce, I came on the controls but could not control the aircraft. At this point, the aircraft was too slow and behind the power curve to attempt a go-around. The last bounce was very high and resulted in damage to the nose gear. When the aircraft came to a stop, we shut down and were eventually towed off the runway." The first officer stated, "At 3CK, Lake in the Hills airport, we entered abeam that airport at 2500' msl and proceeded eastbound to make a base turn back toward the runway numbered 26. I observed the windsock and flag to be directly down the runway. I was flying at 130 kts with flaps at appr on the downwind. I made the base turn put gear down and flaps at full. As expected we had drifted east due to the wind and I was beyond highway 31 at 2200' msl when on final inbound. Wind displayed in the aircraft was steady at 20 kts. However the ride was a bit bumpy. I slowed to 110 over our pre briefed check point of Virginia road about 1 mile from the runway. The gusts were now evident because it required adjustments of power to maintain 110. We lost about 5 kts very rapidly and I remember [the captain] saying you are a little slow and low. I was adding the power as he said it. I added power again at about 100' prior to crossing the road at the end of the runway. The speed was about 105 crossing the end lights. Line up was center and there seemed to be no crosswind factor. The attitude was held until the main tires touched down and shortly after with very little forward yoke effort the nose was on the runway. I thought to my self at the time that was a good landing. I applied brakes (I do not know if [the captain] extended speed brakes) I reached for and lifted the thrust reverser handles and almost simultaneously the aircraft lifted up, (it was not a pitch up). The only explanation to me was we got a serious gust because we were securely on the ground. I do not know if we went into the air again, but it felt more like strut extension but it did surprise me especially since I thought I had made a good landing. We settled on the runway and the nose popped up slightly, the reversers were deployed and I do not know if I had reverse power established at this point. When I pushed forward on the yoke the nose bounced a bit hard and then went higher and I thought I needed to lower it easy so as to not damage the aircraft. The next bounce was even greater and I knew we were porpoising. We were trained not to stow reversers after deployment but even if I had thought to do that we had slowed considerably during the three or more porpoise events. I applied brakes harder but we pitched up one more time as the nose was coming up this time [the captain] said I've got it and the nose then impacted near center of runway. We shutdown the engines immediately and exited the aircraft. Aircraft was towed to hangar." The captain held an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane multiengine land rating and BAE-ATP and CE-500 type ratings. He also held a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane single engine land rating. He also held a certified flight instructor certificate with airplane single, multi engine and instrument airplane ratings. The captain reported a total flight time of 5,865 hours, of which 144.8 hours were in the make and model of the accident airplane. The first officer held an airline transport pilot certificate with a airplane multiengine land rating and B-757, B-767, DC-9, CE-500 and N265 type ratings. The first officer reported a total flight time of 14,749 hours, of which 22.6 hours were in the make and model of the accident airplane.


The on-demand air-taxi positioning flight sustained substantial damage when the nose gear collapsed during landing. The flightcrew changed seat positions so that the first officer would be able to accumulate additional pilot-in-command time by sitting in the left seat. The captain advised the first officer that he would be on the controls during the copilot's first landing attempt at the accident airport. When the airplane touched down, the first officer deployed the thrust reversers, the airplane lifted up, and then bounced 3-4 times down the runway. The captain stated that the first bounce was not severe enough to warrant a go-around. After the second or third bounce, the captain took the controls but could not control the airplane. He added that the airplane was too slow to attempt a go-around.


The flightcrew's delay in executing a go-around..